Monoi Body Cream
Monoi Body Cream, also known as Monoi de Tahiti, is a wonderful body moisturizer and skin conditioner made from a natural coconut oil base infused with the petals of Gardenia tiare, a variety of Gardenia flowers native to French Polynesia.
Our Monoi Body Cream is approximately 90% coconut oil and 10% gardenia extract. There are no materials present other than the coconut oil. No alcohol, chemical or dilutents – just the extracts from the gardenia flowers. Extracts are unusual items to describe in % terms as the botanical matter used to create the extract (ie the flowers in this case) are removed from the product after extraction so are not really present in the product. However the coconut oil itself takes on the character of the flowers infused in it.
Monoi (pronounced Mah-noy) is a Tahitian word meaning “sacred oil.” Many South Pacific islanders still follow the cultural practice of applying Monoi body cream daily to protect their hair and skin from the drying effects of saltwater, wind and sun. Tahitian families often have their own recipes for Monoi, blending additional aromatic flowers for a special scent. For ages, rowers on traditional Tahitian boats have believed that Monoi applied topically before a race will ease muscle pain and increase endurance. To this day, Monoi body cream is a staple of everyday life in Tahiti, as well as one of the country’s most cherished specialty products.
Uses of Monoi body cream:
- rehydrate the skin after bathing
- protect against sun, wind, sea or pool water
- as a pre-shampoo oil treatment to repair and restore luster for the hair
- deep tissue massage
- relieve mild sunburn
- reduce stretch marks in expectant mothers
We’ve been importing Monoi body cream for a number of years and really love the fragrance as well as the benefits. It’s pleasant to use – it melts into the skin, soothing and hydrating it. We recommend Monoi as a fragrant and fun alternative to regular coconut oil for topical use.
Disclaimer: Products containing Raw Coconut Oil will melt at around 76 degrees (this allows it to melt into your skin). If your Monoi Body Cream arrives liquid instead of semi-solid, it likely melted during shipping, but do not worry – let it sit in a cool, dark place overnight and it will re-solidify. It’s a good idea to keep your Monoi Body Cream stored in a cool, dark place to keep it fresh.
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.