Organic Patchouli Essential Oil
Patchouli Essential Oil (Organic) (Pogostemon cablin) from Sri Lanka is Therapeutic Quality Organic Essential Oil steam distilled from the leaves.
Description: Organic Patchouli Essential Oil, also known as patchouly or pachouli, is processed from a bushy herb in the mint family, with 2 to three foot tall erect stems, which small, pale pinkish flowers that blossom in the late fall. Patchouli is a native plant from the tropical regions of Asia, our essential oil is cultivated from Sri Lanka. Patchouli Essential Oil (Organic) is extracted by steam distillation of the leaves, but unlike other mints, the cell walls need to be broken down to exude the scent, so the plants are lightly fermented, dried or scalded before processing.
Our Organic Patchouli Essential Oil is characterized by it’s strong and heady perfume-like scent. In ancient times, patchouli was used as a personal fragrance to both mask odors and repel insects; as well as a scent added to incense. In more recent years patchouli was used as an alternative medicine for depression, inflammation, wound care and protection, sexual dysfunction; and used as an astringent, cicatrisant, cytophylactic, deodorant, diuretic, febrifuge, fungicide, insecticide, sedative, tonic, and skin care.
History: Starting sometime in the 1700’s, Chinese silk traders traveling to the Middle East used dried patchouli leaves in the packing of their fabrics to prevent moths from laying eggs in their product. The tradition of using patchouli in linen spread into Europe, as it was considered to be a sign of luxury in that era. Queen Victoria’s own linens were perfumed with the fragrance of patchouli.
Uses: Organic Patchouli Essential Oil is a long lasting scent and on the sweet side, so for blending look for top notes and another base to balance the blend as it fades. Good pairing include bergamot, lavender, clary sage, lime, grapefruit, geranium, and cardimon. For an exotic blend try myrrh, vanilla, neroli, or frankincense with patchouli.
Organic Essential Oils: Organic Essential Oils are considered by some to be safer for personal use since the components were not chemically processed nor the plants exposed to pesticides. All of our organic essential oils meet the standards to be labeled as organic. Our Patchouli Essential Oil, Organic was steam distilled from organic leaves and flowers of pesticide-free plants and not chemically extracted nor artificially created.
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.