Lime Essential Oil (Expressed)
Lime Essential Oil (Expressed) (Citrus aurantifolia) from Mexico is Therapeutic Quality Essential Oil produced by cold expression of the peel.
Lime Essential Oil (Expressed) has an aroma that is similar to, but in our opinion better than, the aroma of distilled Lime. Like distilled Lime it offers a fresh, clean, citrusy aroma but unlike distilled Lime it IS PHOTOTOXIC and should not be used on the skin prior to sun or tanning lamp exposure (see more below). Despite the phototoxicity, many aromatherapists prefer expressed Lime to the distilled form.
Historical uses of Lime as a fruit or essential oil are provided for educational purpose only and are not intended to be taken as claims for actions of the product “Lime essential oil”. Historical use of a plant or its use in folk medicine does not constitute “proof” of that plant/essential oil’s action.
Lime fruit has often been used interchangeably with Lemon fruit in traditional healing systems, although the two aromas are very different. Both of these fruits have been used in times past for colds and flu, infections, as antiseptics, and for poor appetite.
The following information on the Chinese herbal energetics of Lime fruit is presented for its educational value only and is not intended as claims for the product “Lime Essential Oil” or as guidelines for use of that product; use of a plant in Chinese Medicine does not constitute “proof” of that plant’s actions.
In Chinese Medicine, Lime essential oil has been said by some practitioners to have the following properties:
- Cold and Dry
- Main Element = Wood (Metal)
- Increases Guardian Qi
- Rectifies (tightens) the Skin
- Restorative tonic
Expressed Lime essential oil is phototoxic and should not be used on skin that will be exposed to sunlight or tanning lamps at levels above a maximum concentration of 0.7%. Oxidized (old/spoiled) samples should not be used . Personally, we like to refrigerate all our citrus oils if we intend to keep them longer than 2 months and we discard them after 6 months from their bottling date.
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.