Lime Essential Oil, Distilled
Lime Essential Oil, Distilled (Citrus aurantifolia) from Mexico is Therapeutic Quality Essential Oil produced through steam distillation. Its has a light, fresh, lime-peel aroma and is the only citrus oil we carry that is distilled rather than expressed: read below to find out why.
Some people prefer distilled Lime essential oil to expressed because the distilled oil is not phototoxic while the cold-expressed essential oil is. The aroma is light and fresh and has been described as “bright”, “refreshing” and “uplifting”. Aromatically, Lime essential oil blends will with other citrus oils and with lavender, rosemary and neroli. While we personally prefer expressed Lime essential oil for aromatherapy, many perfumers use distilled Lime essential oil in order to avoid potential problems with phototoxicity. If you would like to opt for our expressed lime oil, go to: Lime Essential Oil, Expressed
Historical uses of Lime plant and/or Lime essential oil are provided for educational interest only and are not intended as claims for actions of the product “Lime essential oil”. Use of a plant or its essential oil in traditional practices does not constitute “proof” of that plant/essential oil’s actions.
Lime fruit has often been used in place of Lemon fruit in many traditional practices and even in some cooking applications and it shares many qualities with Lemon fruit, although the aroma is very different. Both Lime and Lemon fruit have been used at times in the past for infections, poor appetite, sore throats and colds
For the traditional herbal practitioners out there, the following information on the Chinese herbal energetics of Lime fruit may be of interest (This information is provided for educational interest only and is not intended as claims for the product “Lime Essential Oil” or as guidelines for use of that product; use of a plant in Chinese Medicine does not constitute “proof” of that plant’s actions):
- Cold and Dry
- Main Element = Wood (Metal)
- Increases Guardian Qi
- Rectifies (tightens) the Skin
- Restorative tonic
Distilled Lime essential oil is NOT phototoxic but may cause skin sensitization if oxidized. Oxidized (old/spoiled) samples should be avoided and we personally prefer to refrigerate any citrus oil that we will be keeping longer than a couple of months; we also discard our own personal citrus oils if we have not used them up within 6 months of their bottling date.
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.