Key Lime Essential Oil, Expressed
Lime Essential Oil, Key – Expressed (Citrus aurantifolia) from Mexico is Therapeutic Quality Essential Oil produced through expression. Expression means that the peel is squeezed with high pressure but no heat, producing that unique Key Lime Aroma, Key Lime Essential Oil, Expressed.
We perfer Key Lime Essential Oil, Expressed but, some people prefer distilled Lime essential oil to expressed because the distilled oil is not phototoxic while the cold-expressed essential oil is. The aroma is light and fresh and has been described as “bright”, “refreshing” and “uplifting”. Aromatically, Lime essential oil blends will with other citrus oils and with lavender, rosemary and neroli. While we personally prefer expressed Lime essential oil for aromatherapy, many perfumers use distilled Lime essential oil in order to avoid potential problems with phototoxicity. Here’s a link to our distilled lime just in case you would prefer to order it: Lime Essential Oil, Distilled
Key Lime Essential Oil is quite similar to “regular” Lime (same botanical name) but is a bit smaller fruit and is often not quite as green at regular limes. Lime fruit has often been used in place of Lemon fruit in many traditional practices and even in some cooking applications and it shares many qualities with Lemon fruit, although the aroma is very different. Both Lime and Lemon fruit have been used at times in the past for infections, poor appetite, sore throats and colds.
Historical uses of Key Lime fruit and/or Lime essential oil are provided for educational interest only and are not intended as claims for actions of the product “Lime essential oil.” Use of a plant or its essential oil in traditional practices does not constitute “proof” of that plant/essential oil’s actions.
For the traditional herbal practitioners out there, the following information on the Chinese herbal energetics of Lime fruit may be of interest. This information is provided for educational interest only and is not intended as claims for the product or as guidelines for use of that product; use of a plant in Chinese Medicine does not constitute “proof” of that plant’s actions:
- Cold and Dry
- Main Element = Wood (Metal)
- Increases Guardian Qi
- Rectifies (tightens) the Skin
- Restorative tonic
Expressed Key Lime Essential Oil is phototoxic while Distilled is NOT phototoxic but, MAY cause skin sensitization if oxidized. Oxidized (old/spoiled) samples should be avoided and we personally prefer to refrigerate any citrus oil that we will be keeping longer than a couple of months; we also discard our own personal citrus oils if we have used them up within 6 months of their bottling date.
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.