Often incorrectly referred to as “Jasmine Essential Oil” and sometimes spelled “Jasmin”.
Our Jasmine absolute (Jasminum officinale) is a very high quality, solvent extracted Jasmine with almost none of the detectable solvent odor that is so evident in lower quality products. One of the most highly prized natural aromatics used in perfumery, the heavenly aroma of Jasmine absolute is a little stronger and more intense than our Jasmine enfleurage. While Jasmine enfleurage is preferred by aromatherapists for therapeutic applications, due to the absence of the minute solvent residues found in standard absolutes, some perfumers prefer Jasmine absolute for their work.
Since essential oils cannot be extracted from Jasmine flowers by either steam distillation or pressing, there is no true essential oil of Jasmine. When you see “Jasmine essential oil” advertised on some sites, it is either a misnamed Jasmine absolute or synthetic Jasmine; no exceptions.
Like many of the rich, “heady” flower oils and absolutes, such as Gardenia, Rose, Neroli and Tuberose, Jasmine has historically been said to have aphrodisiac and uplifting properties and to exert “narcotic-like” effects when large amounts are inhaled. These effects, especially aphrodisiac effects, are really what the perfume industry has been based on for thousands of years and accounts for the timeless appeal of the rich, deep flower aromas like Jasmine.
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.