Hyssop Essential Oil
Hyssop Essential Oil (Hyssopus officinalis) from Bulgaria is Wildcrafted Therapeutic Quality Essential Oil steam distilled from the leaves and flowering tops.
Description: Hyssop is a perennial shrub from seven to 22 inches in height, will small leaves and purple-blue, pink or white flowers. The flowers attracts swarms of bees and butterflies. It is native to southern Europe and now grows wild throughout Europe, Russia, and North America.
Uses: Hyssop has been used as a medicinal herb since ancient times and is one of the bitter herbs mentioned in the Old Testament used to purify the temple. The name Hyssop derives from it’s ancient Hebrew name ezoh, which mean holy herb. The Romans used hyssop as protection against the plague and the ancient Greeks valued Hyssop for it’s expectorant action. It was planted in medieval gardens with the essential oil being distilled for use in sauces and soups as well as liqueurs such as Chartreuse.
In Oriental medicine hyssop is a strong tonic of the body’s warming yang energy. Hyssop Essential Oil is very hot and stimulating and should be used in moderation.
In Aromatherapy, Hyssop Essential Oil is useful for breathlessness and immune deficiency. Hyssopus officinalis helps to fight infection and is useful against colds and flu. Hyssop Oil strengthens the Spleen-pancreas and warms the digestion. It may be used for appetite loss, slow digestion, and abdominal bloating. But, caution should be used when using Hyssopus officinalis – it can be a bit harsh due to high ketone content.
Hyssop Essential Oil has an effect on the nervous system that is quite invigorating and is recommended for mental fatigue and poor concentration.
The spiritually purifying effect of Hyssop Essential Oil stems from it’s ability to sharpen awareness and consolidate one’s psychic ability.
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.