Hemp Essential Oil (Organic) (No THC)
Our Hemp Essential Oil (Cannabis sativa) is from Canada. It is an organically cultivated Therapeutic Quality Essential Oil that is steam distilled from the flowers and top leaves of the young plant. It has a deep, musky, earthy and distinctive aroma that is very lasting. This unusual and tenacious aroma can be difficult to blend with other essential oils in a pleasing way and tends to overpower other scents. That said, I have met a perfumer or two who were able to use it very well in small amounts in combination with essential oils such as Lavender, Vetiver, Frankincense and others. Please be aware that there is no, to no more than trace amounts, of THC in this THC-free Hemp Essential Oil (organic) so it does not have any psychoactive effects at all and you’ll be disappointed if that’s what you expect. It is also NOT a medicinal product and should not be confused with CBD oil, which is a product currently being marketed for its medicinal effects.
THC-free Hemp Essential Oil does not have a long history of use. Little reliable information is available about this essential oil and this limits its use in aromatherapy at the present time. Tisserand and Young do provide safety data for this essential oil in their book Essential Oil Safety, 2nd Edition (2014), page 300. These authors, who are widely recognized in the aromatherapy community, report only one concern for this essential oil which is that oxidized (spoiled) samples can cause skin sensitization, which is a type of allergic reaction accompanied a rash and itching that can be severe. They recommend refrigerating it in a dark, air tight container for storage. Personally, I also recommend discarding samples when they reach six months past their bottling date.
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.