Cajeput Essential Oil
Cajeput Essential Oil from Australia is Therapeutic Quality Essential Oil steam distilled from the leaves and twigs.
Closely related to the Tea Tree, Cajeput Essential Oil (Melaleuca leucadendron var. cajuputi) is a towering evergreen tree growing to heights of 100 feet. The trunk is flexible and covered with spongy, white bark which easily flakes off. These characteristics give the Cajeput tree its other names of Paperbark Tree, White Wood, and White Tea Tree.
The Cajeput tree grows wild in parts of Malaysia, Indonesia, the Phillipines, Vietnam, Java, Southwest Asia, and Australia. Our Therapeutic-Quality Cajeput Essential Oil is cultivated in Australia where it is steam-distilled from the tree’s fresh leaves and twigs.
Cajeput Essential Oil is colorless to pale yellow-green and has a camphoraceous aroma which is sharp and penetrating.
Aromatherapists have claimed that Cajeput Essential Oil is useful for skin problems, body aches and pains arthritis and respiratory system complaints, such as the common cold.
Caution: Cajeput Essential Oil is generally non-toxic and non-irritating at low concentrations. However, the undiluted oil has been reported to be very stimulating and has been said to produce a warming sensation in the skin and a quickened pulse. For this reason, undiluted Cajeput Essential Oil should not be used in any topical application and even the diluted essential oil should be used sparingly, especially at night or with the frail, elderly, young children, or those who are anxious. Diffusing this essential oil could theoretically be unpleasantly stimulating for some people and could promote sleeplessness at night.
In Australia, the Aborigines historically crushed the leaves and twigs of the Cajeput tree and rub them over the body to help ease aches and pains.
While the oil was not commercially produced by Europeans until 1938, Cajeput herb (not the essential oil) has a long history of use in Asian folk medicine for colds, headaches, sore throat, aches, rheumatism, and for skin problems.
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.