Blood Orange Essential Oil
Description: Blood Orange Essential Oil Sweet (Blood Orange) from Italy has a rich, fresh citrus scent. Blood Orange is richer and sweeter that regular orange essential oil. Our Blood Orange Essential Oil is Therapeutic Quality and expressed from the fruit. Like “regular” sweet orange essential oil, blood orange essential oil can boost the spirits and yet is still calming to the nerves.
Botanical Name: Citrus aurantium dulcis
Country of Origin: Italy
Extraction Method: Cold Pressed
The blood orange is a variety of orange (Citrus × sinensis) with crimson, almost blood-colored flesh.
According to Wikipedia, the distinctive dark flesh color is due to the presence of anthocyanins, a family of antioxidant pigments common to many flowers and fruit, but uncommon in citrus fruits. Chrysanthemin (cyanidin 3-O-glucoside) is the main compound found in red oranges. The flesh develops its characteristic maroon color when the fruit develops with low temperatures during the night. Sometimes, dark coloring is seen on the exterior of the rind, as well, depending on the variety of blood orange. The skin can be tougher and harder to peel than that of other oranges. Blood oranges have a unique flavor compared to other oranges, being distinctly raspberry-like in addition to the usual citrus notes.
Blood Orange Essential Oil (Sweet) is used in aromatherapy to create the feeling of comfort and warmth while still being refreshing. The shelf life is approximately 6 months. It is a safe non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing oil, yet care must be taken with it since it can have a phototoxic effect. Orange Oil should therefore preferably not be applied before going out into sunlight for prolonged periods.
Cautions: Do not use Orange Oil or most citrus oils on the skin or in baths 12 hours prior to sun or sunlamp exposure.
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.