Benzoin Resinoid (Diluted in DPG) (Styrax benzoin) from Indonesia is also know as “Onycha”. Benzoin resinoid is sold on many companies’ websites as “Benzoin essential oil” but these products are actually Benzoin resinoid. We sell Benzoin resinoid for our customers who are perfumers, as the product is frequently used in these applications. It is not appropriate for therapeutic use, nor are the products sold by other companies as “Benzoin essential oil”.
Benzoin is Wildcrafted and diluted in a solvent known as DPG. Without the addition of DPG, Bensoin is a semi-solid paste. When diluted with DPG, it is still quite thick but “pourable”.
Our Benzoin resinoid in DPG has a very fine aroma and is used in perfumery. It carries a low risk for skin sensitization but can cause reactions if used on hypersensitive, diseased or damaged skin.
Dipropylene glycol is a combination of three chemical compounds, 4-oxa-2,6-heptandiol, 2-(2-hydroxy-propoxy)-propan-1-ol, and 2-(2-hydroxy-1-methyl-ethoxy)-propan-1-ol. DPG is a virtually odorless and colorless liquid with relatively low toxicity.
Dipropylene glycol is often used in the perfume and cosmetic industries because of its low toxicity and solvent properties that make it a useful additive for perfumes as well as skin and hair care products.
The form of DPG used as a diluent in cosmetics and perfumes is considered relatively safe and is one of the few solvents that will work to make Benzoin resinoid more useable.
- Do not take essential oils internally.
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes.
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (for directions on proper dilution, refer to an aromatherapy text).
- The information on this website is not intended to be used in the diagnosis, treatment or mitigation of any physical or mental illness. Essential oils are not drugs and are not appropriate for treatment of illnesses.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use essential oils without first consulting an appropriately trained healthcare practitioner.
- The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.